- Ph.D., Economics, Princeton University, 1988
- M.A., Economics, Princeton University, 1982
- B.A., Economics, Duke University, 1979
Current Research Topics
- Central Bank Decisionmaking
- Institutional Governance
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
- 2011 - present
Associate Professor of Economics
- 2005 - 2011
The Netherlands Bank
Bank for International Settlements
- 2007 - 2008
The Brookings Institution
- 2004 - 2005
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis
- 2004 - 2005
Senior Research Fellow
Centre for Economic Performance, London School of Economics
- 2000 - 2004
Council of Economic Advisers
- 1994 - 1995
Senior Economist, Economist
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
- 1984 - 1999
- Ihrig, Jane E., Ellen E. Meade, and Gretchen C. Weinbach (2015). "Rewriting Monetary Policy 101: What's the Fed's Preferred Post-Crisis Approach to Raising Interest Rates?" Journal of Economic Perspectives, vol. 29, no. 4, pp.177-98.
- Jane E. Ihrig, Ellen E. Meade, and Gretchen C. Weinbach (2015). "Monetary Policy 101: A Primer on the Fed's Changing Approach to Policy Implementation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2015-047. Washington: Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.
- Meade, Ellen E., and Miguel Acosta (2015). "Hanging on every word: Semantic analysis of the FOMC's postmeeting statement," FEDS Notes 2015-09-30. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Meade, Ellen E., Nicholas A. Burk, and Melanie Josselyn (2015). "The FOMC Meeting Minutes: An Assessment of Counting Words and the Diversity of Views," FEDS Notes 2015-05-26. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Meade, Ellen E., Yoshio Nozawa, Lubomir Petrasek, and Joyce K. Zickler (2015). "The Effects of FOMC Communications before Policy Tightening in 1994 and 2004," FEDS Notes 2015-09-024. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Harake, Wissam, and Ellen E. Meade (2014). "Hong Kong's Currency Crisis: A Test of the 1990s 'Washington Consensus' View," International Finance, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 273-296.
- Meade, Ellen E., and Daniel L. Thornton (2012). "The Phillips Curve and US Monetary Policy: What the FOMC Transcripts Tell Us," in Oxford Economic Papers, Vol. 64, no. 2. Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 197-216.
- Meade, Ellen E. (2012). "The Governance of Central Banks," in Levi-Faur, David ed., The Oxford Handbook of Governance. Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 387-400.
- Meade, Ellen (2012). "Institutional Governance and Monetary Arrangements," International Finance, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 137-151.
- Meade, Ellen E. (2010). "Federal Reserve Transcript Publication and Regional Representation," Contemporary Economic Policy, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 162-170.
- Crowe, Christopher, and Ellen E. Meade (2008). "Central Bank Independence and Transparency: Evolution and Effectiveness," European Journal of Political Economy, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 763-777.
- Kenen, Peter B., and Ellen E. Meade (2008). Regional monetary integration. Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Meade, Ellen E., and David Stasavage (2008). "Publicity of Debate and the Incentive to Dissent: Evidence from the US Federal Reserve," Economic Journal, vol. 118, no. 528, pp. 695-717.
- Crowe, Christopher, and Ellen E. Meade (2007). "The Evolution of Central Bank Governance Around the World," Journal of Economic Perspectives, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 69-90.
- Meade, Ellen, and David Stasavage (2006). "Two Effects of Transparency on the Quality of Deliberation," Swiss Political Science Review, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 123-133.
- Meade, Ellen E. (2005). "Asian States, Asian Bankers: Central Banking in Southeast Asia," Journal of Economic Literature, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 830-831.
- Meade, Ellen E., and D. N. Sheets (2005). "Regional Influences on FOMC Voting Patterns," Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 661-677.
- Meade, Ellen E. (2005). "The FOMC: Preferences, Voting, and Consensus," Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 93-101.
- Goodhart, Charles, and Ellen Meade (2004). "Central Banks and Supreme Courts," Moneda y Credito, no. 218, pp. 11-42.
- Meade, Ellen E., and Peter B. Kenen (2004). "Substance and Semantics in ERM II," Central Banking, vol. XIV, no. 4, pp. 61-69.
- Meade, Ellen E., and Peter B. Kenen (2004). "The Maastricht Criteria and the Accession Countries: What is Equal Treatment," Central Banking, vol. XIV, no. 3, pp. 54-62.
- Mann, Catherine L., and Ellen E. Meade (2003). "Home Bias, Transactions Costs, and Prospects for the Euro," in Hunter, William C., George G. Kaufman and Michael Pomerleano eds., Asset Price Bubbles: The Implications for Monetary, Regulatory, and International Policies. Cambridge and London: MIT Press, pp. 403-418.
- Meade, Ellen E. (2003). "A (Critical) Appraisal of the ECB's Voting Reform," Intereconomics, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 129-131.
- Meade, Ellen E. (2003). "Central Banks in Currency Unions: The Design of the European Central Bank," in Dumoulin, M., G. Duchenne eds., L'Union europenne et les Etats-Unis : The European Union and the United States - Actes de la VIIIe Chaire Glaverbel d'etudes europennes 2002-2003. Brussels: P.I.E.-Peter Lang, pp. 275-287.
- Meade, Ellen (1997). "Impact on German Trade of Increased Division of Labor with Eastern Europe: Comment," in Black, Stanley W. ed., Europe's Economy Looks East: Implications for Germany and the European Union. Cambridge; New York and Melbourne: Cambridge University Press, pp. 162-164.
- Kole, Linda S., and Ellen E. Meade (1995). "German Monetary Targeting: A Retrospective View," Federal Reserve Bulletin, vol. 81, no. 10, pp. 917-931.
- Meade, Ellen E., and Charles P. Thomas (1993). "Using External Sustainability to Forecast the Dollar," in Bryant, Ralph,C., Peter Hooper and Catherine Mann L. eds., Evaluating Policy Regimes: New Research in Empirical Macroeconomics. Washington: Brookings Institution, pp. 769-790.
- Meade, Ellen E., Gary C. Hufbauer, and Jeffrey Schott (1993). "Review of North American Free Trade: Issues and Recommendations," Journal of International Economics, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 393-395.
- Meade, Ellen E. (1991). "Computers and the Trade Deficit: The Case of the Falling Prices," in Hooper, Peter, J. D. Richardson eds., International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research (National Bureau of Economic Research Studies in Income and Wealth). Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press, pp. 61-85.
- Hooper, Peter, and Ellen E. Meade (1989). "U.S. International Transactions in 1988," Federal Reserve Bulletin, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 321-332.
- Meade, Ellen E. (1989). "U.S. External Adjustment in Response to the Lower Dollar: The J-Curve," in Fair, D. E., C. de Boissieu eds., The International Adjustment Process: New Perspectives, Recent Experience and Future Challenges for the Financial System Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 95-113.
- Meade, Ellen E. (1988). "Exchange Rates, Adjustment, and the J-Curve," Federal Reserve Bulletin, vol. 74, no. 10, pp. 633-644.
American Economic Association annual meetings
Women at the Top of the Economics Profession: 100 Years of Evidence from the AER Papers and Proceedings (with Martha Starr)
Bank of Korea
Southern Economic Association annual meetings
Is There a Limit on FOMC Dissents? (with Petra Gerlach-Kristen)
Wilfred Laurier University
The Phillips Curve and US Monetary Policy: What the FOMC Transcripts Tell Us (with Daniel Thornton)
Mellon Fund Research Support
Grant, Ann Robyn Mathias Fund
Grant, Center for North American Studies
Council on Foreign Relations
American Institute for Contemporary German Studies
DAAD Research Fellowship
Federal Reserve Board
Special Achievement Award
May 2006 Washington University
The Euro and the Dollar in a Globalized Economy
May 2002 London School of Economics
Dollarization and Euroization: Viable Policy Options?
May 1998 American Institute for Contemporary German Studies
The European Central Bank: How Accountable? How Decentralized?
- American Economic Review
- Cambridge University Press
- Canadian Journal of Economics
- Contemporary Economic Policy
- Economic Journal
- European Central Bank Working Paper Series
- European Journal of Political Economy
- International Economic Review
- International Finance
- International Journal of Central Banking
- Journal of Business and Economics
- Journal of Common Market Studies
- Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control
- Journal of Economic Education
- Journal of Economic Issues
- Journal of Macroeconomics
- Journal of Money, Credit and Banking
- Leverhulme Trust Foundation
- Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics
- Oxford Economic Papers
- Review of International Economics
- Scottish Journal of Political Economy
- Member, American Economic Association
- Panelist, NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2011
- Panelist, NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2009
- Mentor, CSWEP Regional Mentoring Workshop, 2009