Meet the Economists
Barbara J. Robles
- Ph.D., Economics, University of Maryland, 1990
- B.A., Humanities, University of Texas - Austin, 1978
- Monetary Policy & Community Economic Development
- Internet Research & Regional Economic Development
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2016 - present
Senior Research Liaison/Senior Economist
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2009 - 2016
School of Public Programs, Arizona State University2005 - 2009
LBJ School of Public Affairs, University of Texas-Austin1998 - 2005
Joint Committee on Taxation, U.S. Congress1995 - 1997
Department of Economics, University of Coloardo-Boulder1990 - 1995
- Schuetz, Jenny, Jeff Larrimore, Ellen A. Merry, Barbara J. Robles, Anna Tranfaglia, and Arturo Gonzalez (forthcoming). "Are Central Cities Poor and Non-White?" Journal of Housing Economics.
- Schuetz, Jenny, Arturo Gonzalez, Jeff Larrimore, Ellen A. Merry, and Barbara J. Robles (2017). "Are Central Cities Poor and Non-White?" Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2017-031. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Schuetz, Jenny, Arturo Gonzalez, Jeff Larrimore, Ellen Merry, and Barbara Robles (2017). "Are Central Cities Poor and Non-White?" FEDS Notes 2017-05-15. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robles, Barbara, and Marysol McGee (2016). "Exploring Online and Offline Informal Work: Findings from the Enterprising and Informal Work Activities (EIWA) Survey," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2016-089. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robles, Barbara J. (2014). "Economic Inclusion and Financial Education in Diverse Communities: Leveraging Cultural Capital and Whole Family Learning," in Fort�, Karin S., Edward W. Taylor and Elizabeth J. Tisdell eds., New Directions in Adult and Continuing Education. A Wiley Company, pp. 57-66.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2014). "Surveying Community Stakeholders: Exploring the Viability of a National Sampling Frame," Federal Committee on Statistical Methodology, 2013 Conference Proceedings (April 2014)
- Robles, Barbara J., and Joseph A. Firschein (2014). "Analyzing Stakeholder Data: Capturing Community Conditions, Economic Inclusion and Emerging Issues," In Proceedings of the 59th World Statistics Congress of the International Statistical Institute, 25-30 August 2013. Hong Kong: International Statistical Institute, pp. 2759-2764.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2013). "Financial and Asset-Building Capabilities of Southwest Border Working Families: An Action Research Approach to Culturally Responsive Economic Resiliency Behaviors," in Birkenmaier, J., J. Curley and M. Sherraden eds., Financial Capability: Research, Education, Practice and Advocacy. Oxford University Press.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2012). "Mobile Home Owners in the Southwest: Financial Behaviors and Economic Mobility Aspirations during Tough Times," Real Estate Review, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 43-65.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2011). "Historical and Policy Dimensions of Inequity in Income and Wealth," in Johnson, N. J., J. H. Svara eds., Justice for all: Promoting Social Equity in Public Administration. Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2010). "A Tax Education and Asset Building Campaign for Low-Income and Limited-English Worker Populations: Lessons from Four States, TY2004-TY 2007," In 2009 IRS Research Conference Bulletin. Washington DC: Internal Revenue Service, pp. 227-252.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2009). Strengthening Social Security for Farm Workers: The Fragile Retirement Prospects for Hispanic Farm Worker Families. Washington, DC: National Academy of Social Insurance.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2009). U.S. Latino Families, Heads of Household, and the Elderly: Emerging Trends in Financial Services and Asset-Building Behaviors. Madison, WI: Filene Research Institute.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2009). "Exploring the Wealth Returns to Latino Higher Educational Attainment: Estimates of Work-Life Earnings Profiles," Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, vol. 8, pp. 5-22.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2008). "Latina Entrepreneurship in the Borderlands: Family Well-being and Poverty Reduction Policies," in Marquez, Raquel R., Harriett D. Romo eds., Transformations of La Familia on the U.S.-Mexico Border. Latino Perspectives. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, pp. 255-288.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2007). Financial Services and Product Usage by Latinos in the U.S. Madison, WI: Filene Research Institute.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2007). "Tax Refunds and Microbusinesses: Expanding Family and Community Wealth Building in the Borderlands," Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, vol. 613, pp. 178-191.
- Robles, Barbara J., and Hector Cordero-Guzman (2007). "Latino Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship in the United States: An Overview of the Literature and Data Sources," Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, vol. 613, pp. 18-31.
- Lui, M., Barbara J. Robles, B. Leondar-Wright, R. M. Brewer, and R. Adamson (2006). The color of wealth: The story behind the racial wealth divide. New York: New Press.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2006). Asset accumulation and economic development in latino communities: A national and border economy profile of latino families. Madison, WI: Filene Research Institute.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2006). "Wealth Creation in Latino Communities: Latino Families, Community Assets, and Cultural Capital," in Gordon Nembhard, Jessica, Ngina Chiteji eds., Wealth Accumulation and Communities of Color in the United States: Current Issues. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, pp. 241-266.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2004). "An Asset Approach to Educational Diversity Policies: Exporting Democracy," International Journal of Chicano Studies Research, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 185-197.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2004). "Emergent Entrepreneurs: Latina-Owned Businesses in the Borderlands," in Texas Business Review. Bureau of Business Research, McCombs School of Business, University of Texas.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2002). "Latina Microenterprise and the U.S.-Mexico Border Economy," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 307-327.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2002). "Revisiting the Demand for Money Model: Money and Loans in Selected Manufacturing Industries," Applied Economics, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 197-205.
- Robles, Barbara J. (1997). "An Economic Profile of Women in the United States," in Higginbotham, Elizabeth, Mary Romero eds., Women and Work: Exploring Race, Ethnicity, and Class. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, pp. 5-27.
- Robles, Barbara J. (1995). "Finance Capital in Dynamic Factor-Demand Models," Applied Economics, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 431-440.
- Robles, Barbara J. (1990). "Financial Variables in Production: A Discrete Dynamic Approach," Ph.D. dissertation, University of Maryland.
- Betancourt, Roger, and Barbara Robles (1989). "Credit, Money and Production: Empirical Evidence," Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 712.
conferenceJanuary 6-8, 2017
American Economic Association Annual Meetings, 2017
Exploring the Gaps in the Gig Economy Using a Web-Based Survey: Measuring the And That Captures Formal -And- Informal Work Activity, with M. McGee
conferenceNovember 4, 2016
Association of Public Policy and Management (APPAM) 2016 Annual Conference
Survey of Enterprising and Informal Work Activities, Poster Presentation with M. McGee
conferenceAugust 1, 2016
Annual Joint Statistical Meetings (JSM), 2016, American Statistical Association
Exploring the Gig Economy Using a Web-based Survey: Measuring the On-line and Off-line Side Work-for-Pay Activity, Poster Presentation with M. McGee
conferenceJune 11, 2016
Latina International Wealth Summit
Latino Entrepreneurship: Resiliency Behaviors in Low-Wealth Border Communities, Keynote
seminarMarch 23, 2016
Stanford University Latino Entrepreneurship Initiative - Roundtable
Latino Entrepreneurship: Resiliency Behaviors in Low-Wealth Border Communities, Presentation
conferenceNovember 19-20, 2015
Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA) Annual Conference
Practitioners & Academics Collaboration Discussion Panel, Panelist
conferenceNovember 12-14, 2015
Association of Public Policy and Management (APPAM), Annual Conference, Poster (with Marysol McGee and Mario Arthur-Bentil)
Older Entrepreneurship in Low Income Communities: Logit Models, Socio-Economic Factors and Mapping Densities
conferenceAugust 6-7, 2015
National Economic Association & American Society of Hispanic Economists Annual Meeting
Economic Opportunity and Sustainability: Leveraging the Age of the 'And', Keynote
conferenceAugust 9-13, 2015
Joint Statistical Meetings, American Statistical Association, Chair, Poster
Working with Missing Data: Nonresponse, Imputations, and Suppressed Data, Chair
conferenceMay 15-17, 2015
American Association of Public Opinion Research (AAPOR) Annual Conference, Chair
Topics in Public Opinion Polls, Session Chair
conferenceAugust 2-7, 2014
Joint Statistical Meetings/American Statistical Association
Inference, Session Chair
conferenceMay 15-17, 2014
AAPOR Annual Conference, Presenter, Chair, Poster
Community Development Stakeholder Data: Exploring Local Community Conditions, Economic Inclusion and Emerging Issues
discussionMarch 20-21, 2014
European Union Commission-Conference Board Roundtable
The Future of Work and Information Technology Roundtable, Invited Participant
Federal Committee on Statistical Methodology, Annual Conference
Surveying Community Stakeholders: Exploring the Viability of a National Sampling Frame, Presenter
conferenceAugust 25-28, 2013
59th World Statistics Congress, Irving Fisher Committee on Central Bank Statistics Session,
Analyzing Stakeholder Data: Capturing Community Conditions, Economic Inclusion and Emerging Issues, Presenter
conferenceJune 13-16, 2013
Consumer Culture Theory, 8th Annual Conference
Participative Community Development and Public Policy, Invited Presenter, Plenary Discussant
conferenceMay 15-19, 2013
American Association of Public Opinion Research (AAPOR)
Evaluating Address-Based Samples II, Chair, Discussant
conferenceMarch 3-5, 2013
National Association of Business Economists Annual Policy Conference, Poster
Older Low Income Entrepreneurs: Exploring Data and Locale
conferenceOctober 24-26, 2012
University of Washington at St. Louis, Symposium
Financial Capability Across the Life-Course, Invited Presenter/Discussant
conferenceSeptember 20, 2012
CFED Annual Conference
Immigrants' Access to Financial Products and Services, Invited Moderator
conferenceJuly 30-Aug2, 2012
Joint Statistical Meetings/American Statistical Association
Seasonal Time Series, Goodness-of-Fit, and Unit Roots, Session Chair
conferenceJune 16, 2012
National Latino Credit Union Professionals/CU National Association
Latinos in the U.S. Economy, Conference Keynote
conferenceNovember 4, 2011
The Association for Public Policy Analysis & Management, Annual Meetings, Poster
Short-Run and Long-Run Asset-Security Strategies in Tough Times: Resiliency Behaviors in Latino Low-Wealth Communities
April 28-29, 2011 | Arlington, VA
2011 Community Affairs Research Conference
April 11-12, 2013 | Washington, DC
2013 Community Affairs Research Conference
- Journal of Family and Economic Issues
- Journal of Consumer Education
- Journal of Rural Development
- Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research
- Sociological Quarterly
- American Economic Review
- International Migration Review
- Journal of Boderlands Studies
- Sociological Inquiry
- Journal of Consumer Affairs
- Book Reviewer: Stanford University, Columbia University, University of Arizona
- Proposal Reviewer: National Science Foundation, Social Science Research Council
- American Economic Association
- American Statistical Association
- National Association of Business Economists (NABE)
- American Association of Public Opinion Researchers (AAPOR)
- World Association of Public Opinion Researchers (WAPOR)
- American Society of Hispanic Economists
- International Statistical Institute (ISI)
- Urban Economics Association
- Association for Research on Nonprofits Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA)
- International Society of Third Sector Research (ISTR)
- European Survey Research Association (ESRA)
- National Academy of Social Insurance, Elected Fellow
- National Tax Association (NTA)
- International Society of Ecological Economists (ISEE)