Barbara J. Robles
- Ph.D., Economics, University of Maryland, 1990
- B.A., Humanities, University of Texas - Austin, 1978
Current Research Topics
- Monetary Policy & Community Economic Development
- Internet Research & Regional Economic Development
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
- 2009 - 2015
School of Public Programs, Arizona State University
- 2005 - 2009
LBJ School of Public Affairs, University of Texas-Austin
- 1998 - 2005
Joint Committee on Taxation, U.S. Congress
- 1995 - 1997
Department of Economics, University of Coloardo-Boulder
- 1990 - 1995
- Robles, Barbara, and Marysol McGee (2016). "Exploring Online and Offline Informal Work: Findings from the Enterprising and Informal Work Activities (EIWA) Survey," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2016-089. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robles, Barbara J. (2014). "Economic Inclusion and Financial Education in Diverse Communities: Leveraging Cultural Capital and Whole Family Learning," in Fort?, Karin S., Edward W. Taylor and Elizabeth J. Tisdell eds., New Directions in Adult and Continuing Education. A Wiley Company, pp. 57-66.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2014). "Surveying Community Stakeholders: Exploring the Viability of a National Sampling Frame," Federal Committee on Statistical Methodology, 2013 Conference Proceedings (April 2014)
- Robles, Barbara J., and Joseph A. Firschein (2014). "Analyzing Stakeholder Data: Capturing Community Conditions, Economic Inclusion and Emerging Issues," In Proceedings of the 59th World Statistics Congress of the International Statistical Institute, 25-30 August 2013. Hong Kong: International Statistical Institute, pp. 2759-2764.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2013). "Financial and Asset-Building Capabilities of Southwest Border Working Families: An Action Research Approach to Culturally Responsive Economic Resiliency Behaviors," in Birkenmaier, J., J. Curley and M. Sherraden eds., Financial Capability: Research, Education, Practice and Advocacy. Oxford University Press.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2012). "Mobile Home Owners in the Southwest: Financial Behaviors and Economic Mobility Aspirations during Tough Times," Real Estate Review, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 43-65.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2011). "Historical and Policy Dimensions of Inequity in Income and Wealth," in Johnson, N. J., J. H. Svara eds., Justice for all: Promoting Social Equity in Public Administration. Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2010). "A Tax Education and Asset Building Campaign for Low-Income and Limited-English Worker Populations: Lessons from Four States, TY2004-TY 2007," In 2009 IRS Research Conference Bulletin. Washington DC: Internal Revenue Service, pp. 227-252.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2009). Strengthening Social Security for Farm Workers: The Fragile Retirement Prospects for Hispanic Farm Worker Families. Washington, DC: National Academy of Social Insurance.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2009). U.S. Latino Families, Heads of Household, and the Elderly: Emerging Trends in Financial Services and Asset-Building Behaviors. Madison, WI: Filene Research Institute.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2009). "Exploring the Wealth Returns to Latino Higher Educational Attainment: Estimates of Work-Life Earnings Profiles," Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, vol. 8, pp. 5-22.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2008). "Latina Entrepreneurship in the Borderlands: Family Well-being and Poverty Reduction Policies," in Marquez, Raquel R., Harriett D. Romo eds., Transformations of La Familia on the U.S.-Mexico Border. Latino Perspectives. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, pp. 255-288.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2007). Financial Services and Product Usage by Latinos in the U.S. Madison, WI: Filene Research Institute.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2007). "Tax Refunds and Microbusinesses: Expanding Family and Community Wealth Building in the Borderlands," Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, vol. 613, pp. 178-191.
- Robles, Barbara J., and Hector Cordero-Guzman (2007). "Latino Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship in the United States: An Overview of the Literature and Data Sources," Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, vol. 613, pp. 18-31.
- Lui, M., Barbara J. Robles, B. Leondar-Wright, R. M. Brewer, and R. Adamson (2006). The color of wealth: The story behind the racial wealth divide. New York: New Press.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2006). Asset accumulation and economic development in latino communities: A national and border economy profile of latino families. Madison, WI: Filene Research Institute.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2006). "Wealth Creation in Latino Communities: Latino Families, Community Assets, and Cultural Capital," in Gordon Nembhard, Jessica, Ngina Chiteji eds., Wealth Accumulation and Communities of Color in the United States: Current Issues. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, pp. 241-266.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2004). "An Asset Approach to Educational Diversity Policies: Exporting Democracy," International Journal of Chicano Studies Research, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 185-197.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2004). "Emergent Entrepreneurs: Latina-Owned Businesses in the Borderlands," in Texas Business Review. Bureau of Business Research, McCombs School of Business, University of Texas.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2002). "Latina Microenterprise and the U.S.-Mexico Border Economy," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 307-327.
- Robles, Barbara J. (2002). "Revisiting the Demand for Money Model: Money and Loans in Selected Manufacturing Industries," Applied Economics, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 197-205.
- Robles, Barbara J. (1997). "An Economic Profile of Women in the United States," in Higginbotham, Elizabeth, Mary Romero eds., Women and Work: Exploring Race, Ethnicity, and Class. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, pp. 5-27.
- Robles, Barbara J. (1995). "Finance Capital in Dynamic Factor-Demand Models," Applied Economics, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 431-440.
- Robles, Barbara J. (1990). "Financial Variables in Production: A Discrete Dynamic Approach," Ph.D. dissertation, University of Maryland.
- Betancourt, Roger, and Barbara Robles (1989). "Credit, Money and Production: Empirical Evidence," Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 712.
November 19-20, 2015
Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA) Annual Conference
Practitioners & Academics Collaboration Discussion Panel, Panelist
November 12-14, 2015
Association of Public Policy and Management (APPAM), Annual Conference, Poster (with Marysol McGee and Mario Arthur-Bentil)
Older Entrepreneurship in Low Income Communities: Logit Models, Socio-Economic Factors and Mapping Densities
August 6-7, 2015
National Economic Association & American Society of Hispanic Economists Annual Meeting
Economic Opportunity and Sustainability: Leveraging the Age of the 'And', Keynote
August 9-13, 2015
Joint Statistical Meetings, American Statistical Association, Chair, Poster
Working with Missing Data: Nonresponse, Imputations, and Suppressed Data, Chair
May 15-17, 2015
American Association of Public Opinion Research (AAPOR) Annual Conference, Chair
Topics in Public Opinion Polls, Session Chair
August 2-7, 2014
Joint Statistical Meetings/American Statistical Association
Inference, Session Chair
May 15-17, 2014
AAPOR Annual Conference, Presenter, Chair, Poster
Community Development Stakeholder Data: Exploring Local Community Conditions, Economic Inclusion and Emerging Issues
March 20-21, 2014
European Union Commission-Conference Board Roundtable
The Future of Work and Information Technology Roundtable, Invited Participant
Federal Committee on Statistical Methodology, Annual Conference
Surveying Community Stakeholders: Exploring the Viability of a National Sampling Frame, Presenter
August 25-28, 2013
59th World Statistics Congress, Irving Fisher Committee on Central Bank Statistics Session,
Analyzing Stakeholder Data: Capturing Community Conditions, Economic Inclusion and Emerging Issues, Presenter
June 13-16, 2013
Consumer Culture Theory, 8th Annual Conference
Participative Community Development and Public Policy, Invited Presenter, Plenary Discussant
May 15-19, 2013
American Association of Public Opinion Research (AAPOR)
Evaluating Address-Based Samples II, Chair, Discussant
March 3-5, 2013
National Association of Business Economists Annual Policy Conference, Poster
Older Low Income Entrepreneurs: Exploring Data and Locale
October 24-26, 2012
University of Washington at St. Louis, Symposium
Financial Capability Across the Life-Course, Invited Presenter/Discussant
September 20, 2012
CFED Annual Conference
Immigrants' Access to Financial Products and Services, Invited Moderator
July 30-Aug2, 2012
Joint Statistical Meetings/American Statistical Association
Seasonal Time Series, Goodness-of-Fit, and Unit Roots, Session Chair
June 16, 2012
National Latino Credit Union Professionals/CU National Association
Latinos in the U.S. Economy, Conference Keynote
November 4, 2011
The Association for Public Policy Analysis & Management, Annual Meetings, Poster
Short-Run and Long-Run Asset-Security Strategies in Tough Times: Resiliency Behaviors in Latino Low-Wealth Communities
April 28-29, 2011 Arlington, VA
2011 Community Affairs Research Conference
April 11-12, 2013 Washington, DC
2013 Community Affairs Research Conference
- Journal of Family and Economic Issues
- Journal of Consumer Education
- Journal of Rural Development
- Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research
- Sociological Quarterly
- American Economic Review
- International Migration Review
- Journal of Boderlands Studies
- Sociological Inquiry
- Journal of Consumer Affairs
- Book Reviewer: Stanford University, Columbia University, University of Arizona
- Proposal Reviewer: National Science Foundation, Social Science Research Council
- American Economic Association
- American Statistical Association
- National Association of Business Economists (NABE)
- American Association of Public Opinion Researchers (AAPOR)
- World Association of Public Opinion Researchers (WAPOR)
- American Society of Hispanic Economists
- International Statistical Institute (ISI)
- Urban Economics Association
- Association for Research on Nonprofits Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA)
- International Society of Third Sector Research (ISTR)
- European Survey Research Association (ESRA)
- National Academy of Social Insurance, Elected Fellow
- National Tax Association (NTA)
- International Society of Ecological Economists (ISEE)