Supervisory Policy and Guidance Topics
Asset and Wealth Management Activities
Banking organization asset and wealth management (AWM) activities include traditional trust services such as investment management, investment advisory, personal trust, corporate trust, transfer agent services, and certain employee benefit account services, as well as securities custody, securities lending, securities clearing and settlement, and functionally regulated securities broker-dealer and registered investment advisor activities. Serving as trustee and paying agent for bond issues including structured debt and asset-backed issues also is considered an AWM activity. The administration of AWM services is a significant line of business for most large, complex banking organizations as well as many smaller banking organizations, and services often are delivered in an integrated manner.Sections on this page:
Asset and Wealth Management Activities
- SR 13-19 / CA 13-21
- Guidance on Managing Outsourcing Risk
- SR 10-5
- Interagency Guidance on Obtaining and Retaining Beneficial Ownership Information
- SR 08-8 / CA 08-11
- Compliance Risk Management Programs and Oversight at Large Banking Organizations with Complex Compliance Profiles
- SR 07-5
- Interagency Statement on Sound Practices Concerning Elevated Risk Complex Structured Finance Activities
- SR 06-8
- Reports of Examinations of Government Securities Activities
- SR 05-9
- Frequently Asked Questions Relating to Customer Identification Program Rules
- SR 04-1
- Interagency Policy on Banks/Thrifts Providing Financial Support to Funds Advised by the Banking Organization
- SR 01-13 (SUP)
- Supervisory guidance relating to a change to permissible securities activities of state member banks
- SR 01-5 (SUP)
- Examination of Fiduciary Activities
- SR 99-7 (SPE)
- Supervisory Guidance Regarding the Investment of Fiduciary Assets in Mutual Funds and Potential Conflicts of Interest
- SR 98-37 (SPE)
- Uniform Interagency Trust Rating System
- SR 98-5 (SPE)
- Changes to the Board's Securities Credit Regulations (Regulations G and U)
- SR 97-3 (SPE)
- Conversion of Common Trust Funds to Mutual Funds
- SR 96-10 (SPE)
- Risk-Focused Fiduciary Examinations
- SR 95-46 (SPE)
- Interpretation of Interagency Statement on Retail Sales of Nondeposit Investment Products
- SR 94-53 (FIS)
- Investment Adviser Activities
- SR 94-34 (FIS)
- Examination Procedures for Retail Sales of Nondeposit Investment Products
- SR 94-31 (FIS)
- Coordination of Specialty Examinations with Full Scope Safety and Soundness Examinations of State Member Banks
- SR 94-11 (FIS)
- Interagency Statement on Retail Sales of Nondeposit Investment Products
- SR 93-69 (FIS)
- Examining Risk Management and Internal Controls for Trading Activities of Banking Organizations
- SR 93-19 (FIS)
- Supplemental Guidance for the Inspection of Nonbank Subsidiaries of Bank Holding Companies
- SR 93-12 (FIS)
- Elements of a Sound Conflict of Interest Program
- SR 91-4
- Guidelines for the Inspection of Investment Adviser Subsidiaries of Bank Holding Companies
- SR 90-31
- Bank Holding Company Funding from Sweep Accounts
- SR 90-19
- Sale of Uninsured Debt Obligations and Securities Issued by Bank Holding Companies, Nonbank Affiliates, or State Member Banks on Retail Banking Premises
- SR 90-1
- Examination of State Branches and Agencies of Foreign Banks for Compliance with Regulations Related to Government Securities Activities
- Call Report Instructions (Schedule RC-T – Fiduciary and Related Services)
- Explanation of UBPR Pages Trust 1 and Trust 1A (PDF)
- Trust Institutions Search (FDIC)
- Uniform Bank Performance Report (UBPR)
Bank Holding Company Supervision Manual
- Section 2010.0, "Supervision of Subsidiaries"
- Section 2010.12, "Fees Involving Investments of Fiduciary Assets in Mutual Funds and Potential Conflicts of Interest"
- Section 2080.5, "Section 2080.5 Funding (Pension Funding and Employee Stock Option Plans)"
- Section 2140.0, "Securities Lending"
- Section 2178.0, "Support of Bank-Affiliated Investment Funds"
- Section 2187.0, "Violations of Federal Reserve Margin Regulations Resulting from 'Free-Riding' Schemes"
- Section 3120.0, "Section 4(c)(8) of the BHC Act (Trust Services)"
- Section 3130.0, "Section 4(c)(8) of the BHC Act (General Financial and Investment Advisory Activities)"
- Section 3130.1, "Section 4(c)(8) of the BHC Act (Investment or Financial Advisers)"
- Section 3230.0, "Section 4(c)(8) – Agency Transaction Services for Customer Investments (Securities Brokerage)"
- Section 3600.21, "Permissible Activities by Board Order (Underwriting and Dealing)"
- Section 3900.0, "Financial Holding Companies (Section 4(k) of the BHC Act)"
- Section 3907.0, "Merchant Banking (Section 4(k) of the BHC Act)"
Commercial Bank Examination Manual
- Section 4080.1, "Employee Benefit Trusts"
- Section 4128.1, "Private-Banking Activities"
- Section 4160.1, "Sale of Uninsured Nondeposit Debt Obligations on Bank Premises"
- Section 4180.1, "Investment-Funds Support"
- Section 4200.1, "Fiduciary Activities"
Other Trust-Related Manuals
- FDIC Trust Examination Manual
- FFIEC Bank Secrecy Act Anti-Money Laundering Examination Manual (Please refer to sections on Trust and Asset Management, Private Banking, Nondeposit Investment Products)
- OCC Handbooks on Asset Management
Last update: April 22, 2016