Meet the Economists
Christopher J. Kurz
- Ph.D., Economics, University of Michigan, 2005
- M.A., Economics, University of Michigan, 2000
- B.A., Economics, University of Texas - Austin, 1998
- International Trade and Offshoring
- Productivity Estimation and Forecasting
FRB Expanded Measurement Agenda2016 - present
Universitat Pompeu Fabra2016
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2012 - 2016
The Johns Hopkins University2013 - 2015
Elliott School of International Affairs, George Washington University2010
Johns Hopkins University - School of Advanced International Studies2006 - 2008
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2005 - 2012
- Cajner, Tomaz, Leland Crane, Ryan Decker, Adrian Hamins-Puertolas, Christopher Kurz, and Tyler Radler (2018). "Using Payroll Processor Microdata to Measure Aggregate Labor Market Activity," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2018-005. Washington: Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brownlees, Christian, Ben Chabot, Eric Ghysels, and Christopher Kurz (2017). "Back to the Future: Backtesting Systemic Risk Measures during Historical Bank Runs and the Great Depression," CEPR Discussion Paper, no. 12178. Centre for Economic Policy Research.
- Kurz, Christopher, and Mine Z. Senses (2016). "Importing, Exporting, and Firm-Level Employment Volatility," Journal of International Economics, vol. 98, pp. 160-175.
- Kurz, Christopher, Geng Li, and Daniel Vine (2016). "The Young and the Carless? The Demographics of New Vehicle Purchases," FEDS Notes 2016-06-24. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kurz, Christopher J., and Norman J. Morin (2016). "Annual Data on Investment and Capital Stocks," FEDS Notes 2016-03-02. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brownlees, Christian T., Benjamin Chabot, Eric Ghysels, and Christopher Johann Kurz (2015). "Backtesting Systemic Risk Measures During Historical Bank Runs," Working Paper Series, No. 2015-09. Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Kurz, Christopher Johann, and Geng Li (2015). "Who Drives Luxury Cars (Only for a While)?" FEDS Notes 2015-06-01. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kurz, Christopher and Geng Li (2015). "How Does Student Loan Debt Affect Light Vehicle Purchases?" FEDS Notes 2015-02-02. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
- Bombardini, Matilde, Christopher J. Kurz, and Peter M. Morrow (2012). "Ricardian Trade and the Impact of Domestic Competition on Export Performance," Canadian Journal of Economics, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 585-612.
- Houseman, Susan, Christopher Kurz, Paul Lengermann, and Benjamin Mandel (2011). "Offshoring Bias in U.S. Manufacturing," Journal of Economic Perspectives, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 111-132.
- Houseman, Susan, Christopher Kurz, Paul Lengermann, and Benjamin Mandel (2010). "Offshoring Bias in U.S. Manufacturing: Implications for Productivity and Value Added," International Finance Discussion Papers 1007. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Chabot, Benjamin R., and Christopher J. Kurz (2010). "That's Where the Money was: Foreign Bias and English Investment Abroad, 1866-1907," Economic Journal, vol. 120, no. 547, pp. 1056-1080.
- Burstein, Ariel, Christopher Kurz, and Linda Tesar (2008). "Trade, Production Sharing, and the International Transmission of Business Cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 775-795.
- Kurz, Christopher Johann (2006). "Outstanding Outsourcers: A Firm- and Plant-Level Analysis of Production Sharing," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2006-04. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kurz, Christopher, and A. Norman et al (2004). "On the Computational Complexity of Consumer Decision Rules," Computational Economics, 23, no. 2, pp. 173-192.
- Kurz, Christopher, and A. Norman et al. (2003). "An Ordering Experiment," Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 249-262.
ASSA Meetings, San Diego
Trading Plants and Volatility
United States International Trade Commission
Office of Tax Analysis, Department of the Treasury
Washington Area International Trade Symposium
Southeast Economics Meetings
Center for Economic Studies, Census Bureau
CES Research Data Center Conference
World Congress of Economic History, Stellenbosch
British Investment Trusts: The Precursors of Modern Structured Finance
Microeconomic Aspects of the Globalization of Inflation
Offshoring Bias and U.S. Manufacturing: Implications for Productivity and Value Added
George Washington University
NBER Summer Institute CRIW
Conference on Measurement Issues Arising from Globalization
Simulating the Effects of Import Price Mismeasurement on Output and Productivity Measures
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
Using Census Microdata to Forecast U.S. Aggregate Productivity
Comparative Analysis of Enterprise Data
Firm Heterogeneity and Ricardian Trade: The Impact of Domestic Competition on Export Performance
Canadian Economics Association
Harry Johnson Prize
2011-2015 | George Washington University
Washington Area International Trade Symposium
- American Economic Review
- American Economic Journal: Economic Policy/Macro
- The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics
- Economic Journal
- Eastern Economic Journal
- European Economic Review
- International Finance
- Journal of Economics and Business
- Journal of International Economics
- Journal of International Money and Finance
- The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development
- The Review of Economics and Statistics
- NBER/CRIW member since 2016