Meet the Economists
Michael M. Batty
- Ph.D., Economics, University of Wisconsin, 2015
- S.B., Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
Current Research Topics
- Health Economics, Financial Education, Retirement
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2015 - present
Senior Consultant (Life Actuarial)
Deloitte Consulting2005 - 2010
- Batty, Michael, Jesse Bricker, Joseph Briggs, Elizabeth Holmquist, Susan McIntosh, Kevin Moore, Eric Nielsen, Sarah Reber, Molly Shatto, Kamila Sommer, Tom Sweeney, and Alice Henriques Volz (2019). "Introducing the Distributional Financial Accounts of the United States," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2019-017. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ahn, Michael, Michael Batty, and Ralf Meisenzahl (2018). "Household Debt-to-Income Ratios in the Enhanced Financial Accounts," FEDS Notes 2018-01-11. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Batty, Michael, Christa Gibbs, and Benedic Ippolito (2018). "Unlike Medical Spending, Medical Bills In Collections Decrease With Patients' Age," Health Affairs, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1257-1264.
- Batty, Mike (2018). "Accounting for Reinsurance Transactions in the Financial Accounts of the United States," FEDS Notes 2018-10-12. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Batty, Michael, and Benedic Ippolito (2017). "Mystery of the Chargemaster: Examining the Role of Hospital List Prices In What Patients Actually Pay," Health Affairs, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 689-696.
- Batty, Michael, J. Michael Collins, and Elizabeth Odders-White (2015). "Experimental Evidence on the Effects of Financial Education on Elementary School Students' Knowledge, Behavior, and Attitudes," Journal of Consumer Affairs, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 69-96.
- Batty, Michael M., and Benedic N. Ippolito (2015). "Financial Incentives, Hospital Care, and Health Outcomes: Evidence from Fair Pricing Laws," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2015-107. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries
Last update: April 22, 2019