Supervisory Policy and Guidance Topics
Insurance transfers the financial effect of fortuitous losses. A financial organization's primary defenses against loss are adequate internal controls and loss mitigation procedures, which insurance is intended to complement, not replace. Banking organization insurance programs include the funding of employee benefits through purchases of corporate- or bank-owned life insurance and the transfer of insurable risks through coverages associated with risk management initiatives. Financial institutions supervised by the Federal Reserve also engage in functionally regulated insurance underwriting activities and insurance sales activities.
Policy LettersInsurance-Related Activities
Supervisory Rating System for Holding Companies with Total Consolidated Assets Less Than $100 billion
Consolidated Supervision of Bank Holding Companies and the Combined U.S. Operations of Foreign Banking Organizations
Interagency Advisory on the Confidentiality of Nonpublic Supervisory Information
Interagency Statement on the Purchase and Risk Management of Life Insurance
Accounting for Deferred Compensation Agreements
Framework for Financial Holding Company Supervision
Interpretation of Interagency Statement on Retail Sales of Nondeposit Investment Products
Examination Procedures for Retail Sales of Nondeposit Investment Products
Split-Dollar Life Insurance at State Member Banks
Interagency Statement on Retail Sales of Nondeposit Investment Products
Split-Dollar Life Insurance
- Bank Holding Company Supervision Manual
- Section 2010.6, "Supervision of Subsidiaries (Financial Institution Subsidiary Retail Sales of Nondeposit Investment Products)"
- Section 3170.0, "Section 4(c)(8) of the BHC Act (Insurance Agency Activities of Bank Holding Companies)"
- Section 3180.0, "Section 4(c)(8) of the BHC Act (Insurance Underwriters)"
- Section 3905.0, "Permissible Activities for FHCs (Section 4(k) of the BHC Act)"
- Section 3950.0, "Insurance Sales Activities and Consumer Protection in Sales of Insurance (Sections 4(k) and 4(c)(8) of the BHC Act)"
- Commercial Bank Examination Manual
- Sections 4040.1, "Management of Insurable Risks"
- Sections 4042.1, "Purchase and Risk Management of Life Insurance"
- Sections 4043.1, "Insurance Sales Activities and Consumer Protection in Sales of Insurance"
- Sections 4170.1, "Retail Sales of Nondeposit Investment Products"