Supervisory Policy and Guidance Topics
Savings and Loan Holding Companies
Under the Home Owners' Loan Act (HOLA), a savings and loan holding company (SLHC) includes any company that directly or indirectly controls either a savings association or any other company that is an SLHC. Title III of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (Dodd-Frank Act) transferred to the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System the supervisory functions of the Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS) related to SLHCs and their non-depository subsidiaries beginning on July 21, 2011. In general, the policy letters listed below pertain specifically to SLHCs or to the supervisory program of SLHCs but it is not a complete list. Review the text of each SR letter issued after July 21, 2011 to determine whether the guidance in that specific letter applies to SLHCs.
Policy LettersSavings and Loan Holding Companies
Supervisory Rating System for Holding Companies with Total Consolidated Assets Less Than $100 billion
Large Financial Institution (LFI) Rating System
Supervisory Guidance for Examining Compliance with the Qualified Thrift Lender Test
Relying on the Work of the Regulators of the Subsidiary Insured Depository Institution(s) of Bank Holding Companies and Savings and Loan Holding Companies with Total Consolidated Assets of Less than $50 Billion
Incorporation of Federal Reserve Policies into the Savings and Loan Holding Company Supervision Program
Inspection Frequency and Scope Requirements for Bank Holding Companies and Savings and Loan Holding Companies with Total Consolidated Assets of $10 Billion or Less
Guidance Regarding Prior Notices with Respect to Dividend Declarations by Savings Association Subsidiaries of Savings and Loan Holding Companies
Deregistration Procedures for Certain Savings and Loan Holding Companies
Rules and Regulations
- Regulation Q: Capital Adequacy of Bank Holding Companies, Savings and Loan Holding Companies, and State Member Banks
- Small Bank Holding Company Policy Statement (Regulation Y)
- Regulation LL: Savings and Loan Holding Companies
- Regulation MM: Mutual Holding Companies
- Home Owners' Loan Act
- Savings and Loan Holding Company Applications
- Regulatory Financial Reports (SLHCs that are initially exempt from filing Federal Reserve regulatory reports are to file the FR 2320)
- Bank Holding Company Supervision Manual
- Section 1063.0, “Holding Company Ratings Applicability and Inspection Frequency”
- Section 2010.0, "Supervision of Subsidiaries"
- Section 2020.0, "Intercompany Transactions"
- Section 2500.0, "Supervision of Savings and Loan Holding Companies"