Foreign Exchange Rates - G.5
Effective on February 4, 2019, the Federal Reserve Board staff has made major changes to the methodology used to construct the trade-weighted dollar indexes in the H.10, G.5, and G.5A releases. These changes affect the calculation of index weights and country composition. The new dollar indexes go back to (and are indexed to) January 2006. For more information, see "Revisions to the Federal Reserve Dollar Indexes" and "Technical Q&As".
Foreign Exchange Rates -- G.5 Monthly(Rates in currency units per U.S. dollar except as noted)
|COUNTRY||CURRENCY||January 2019||December 2018||November 2018||January 2018|
|2) MAJOR CURRENCY||MAR73=100||91.0978||92.0486||91.6828||86.3234|
This release is available online at http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/G5.
For more information on exchange rate indexes for the U.S. dollar, see "Indexes of the Foreign Exchange Value of the Dollar," Federal Reserve Bulletin, 91:1 (Winter 2005), pp. 1-8, (http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/bulletin/2005/winter05_index.pdf). Weights for the broad index can be found at http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/H10/Weights; weights for the major currencies index and the other important trading partners (OITP) index are derived from the broad index weights. The most recent annual revision to the trade weights and the dollar indexes took effect with the May 2009 release of this report. The source for exchange rates not listed in the table above but used in the calculation of the broad and OITP indexes is Bloomberg.
* U.S. dollars per currency unit.
1) A weighted average of the foreign exchange value of the U.S. dollar against the currencies of a broad group of major U.S. trading partners.
2) A weighted average of the foreign exchange value of the U.S. dollar against a subset of the broad index currencies that circulate widely outside the country of issue.
3) A weighted average of the foreign exchange value of the U.S. dollar against a subset of the broad index currencies that do not circulate widely outside the country of issue.
For information about your subscription to this release or about receiving it in document form, please call publication services at Federal Reserve Board at (202) 452-3244.
The euro is reported in place of the individual eure-area currencies. These currency rates can be derived from the dollar/euro rate by using the fixed conversion rates (in currencies per euro) given below:
- = 13.7603 AUSTRIAN SCHILLINGS
- = 40.3399 BELGIAN FRANCS
- = .585274 CYPRUS POUND
- = 15.6466 ESTONIAN KROON
- = 5.94573 FINNISH MARKKAS
- = 6.55957 FRENCH FRANCS
- = 1.95583 GERMAN MARKS
- = 340.750 GREEK DRACHMAS
- = .787564 IRISH POUNDS
- = 1936.27 ITALIAN LIRE
- = 40.3399 LUXEMBOURG FRANCS
- = .429300 MALTESE LIRA
- = 2.20371 NETHERLANDS GUILDERS
- = 200.482 PORTUGUESE ESCUDOS
- = 166.386 SPANISH PESETAS
- = 30.1260 SLOVAKIAN KORUNA
- = 239.640 SLOVENIAN TOLAR