Meet the Economists
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2013 - present
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2011 - 2013
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2009 - 2011
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2007 - 2009
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2001 - 2007
- McCully, Brett, Karen M. Pence, and Daniel J. Vine (2015). "How Much Are Car Purchases Driven by Home Equity Withdrawal? Evidence from Household Surveys," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2015-106. Washington: Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.
- Bucks, Brian, and Karen M. Pence (2015). "Wealth, Pensions, Debt, and Savings: Considerations for a Panel Survey," Journal of Economic and Social Measurement, vol. 40, no. 1-4, pp. 151-175.
- Pence, Karen (2015). "The Impact of Housing Markets on Consumer Debt: Credit Report Evidence from 1999 to 2012: Discussion," Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 215-220.
- Johnson, Kathleen W., Karen M. Pence, and Daniel J. Vine (2014). "Auto Sales and Credit Supply," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2014-82. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Pence, Karen (2014). "The Wealthy Hand-to-Mouth: Comment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Spring, pp. 144-148.
- Pence, Karen M. (2012). "Is a Household Debt Overhang Holding Back Consumption? Comment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Spring, pp. 351-358.
- Pence, Karen M. (2011). "Comment on 'The Financially Fragile Households: Evidence and Implications'," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Spring, pp. 141-150.
- Campbell, Sean, Daniel Covitz, William Nelson, and Karen Pence (2011). "Securitization Markets and Central Banking: An Evaluation of the Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility," Journal of Monetary Economics, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 518-531.
- Mayer, Christopher, Karen Pence, and Shane M. Sherlund (2009). "The Rise in Mortgage Defaults," Journal of Economic Perspectives, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 27-50.
- Mayer, Chris, and Karen Pence (2009). "Subprime Mortgages: What, Where, and to Whom?" in Glaeser, Edward L., John M. Quigley eds., Housing Markets and the Economy: Risk, Regulation, and Policy. Cambridge, MA: Lincoln Institute of Land Policy.
- Pence, Karen M. (2009). "Comments on 'the Age of Reason: Financial Decisions Over the Life Cycle and Implications for Regulation'," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Spring, pp. 108-111.
- Bucks, Brian, and Karen Pence (2008). "Do Borrowers Know their Mortgage Terms?" Journal of Urban Economics, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 218-233.
- Wolfe, Barbara, Robert Haveman, Karen Pence, and Jonathan A. Schwabish (2007). "Do Youth Nonmarital Childbearing Choices Reflect Income and Relationship Expectations?" Journal of Population Economics, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 73-100.
- Gale, William G., and Karen M. Pence (2006). "Are Successive Generations Getting Wealthier, and if so, Why? Evidence from the 1990s," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, no. 1, pp. 155-213.
- Pence, Karen M. (2006). "Foreclosing on Opportunity: State Laws and Mortgage Credit," Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 177-182.
- Pence, Karen M. (2006). "The Role of Wealth Transformations: An Application to Estimating the Effect of Tax Incentives on Saving," B.E. Journals in Economic Analysis and Policy: Contributions to Economic Analysis and Policy, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1-24.
- Dynan, Karen, Kathleen Johnson, and Karen Pence (2003). "Recent Changes to a Measure of U.S. Household Debt Service," Federal Reserve Bulletin, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 417-426.
- Pence, Karen M. (2002). "Nature Or Nurture: Why do 401(k) Participants Save Differently than Other Workers?" National Tax Journal, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 597-616.
- Haveman, Robert, Barbara Wolfe, and Karen Pence (2001). "Intergenerational Effects of Nonmarital and Early Childbearing," in Wu, Lawrence,L., Barbara Wolfe eds., Out of Wedlock: Causes and Consequences of Nonmarital Fertility. New York: Russell Sage Foundation, pp. 287-316.
- Sabelhaus, John, and Karen Pence (1999). "Household Saving in the '90s: Evidence from Cross-Section Wealth Surveys," Review of Income and Wealth, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 435-453.
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
Special Achievement Award
Weimer School of Advanced Studies in Real Estate
National Tax Association
Dissertation Award Honorable Mention
- Panel Study of Income Dynamics, External Board of Overseers, 2014-present
- Board of Directors, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, 2008-2010