Meet the Economists
Kirstin E. Wells
Principal Economist FedNow Oversight Coordination and Strategy Section Reserve Bank Operations and Payment Systems
- Ph.D., Public Policy, UNC Charlotte, 2009
Current Research Topics
- Payment system modernization
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2017 - present
- Summers, Bruce J., and Kirstin E. Wells (2014). "Governance of Payment Systems: A Theoretical Framework and Cross-Country Comparison," Journal of Financial Market Infrastructures, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 3-40.
- Wells, Kirstin, and Jean-Claude Thill (2012). "Do Transit-Dependent Neighborhoods, Receive Inferior Bus Access? A Neighborhood Analysis in Four U.S. Cities," Journal of Urban Affairs, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 43-63.
- Jacob, Katy, and Kirstin E. Wells (2011). "Evaluating the Potential of Immediate Funds Transfer for General-Purpose Payments in the United States," Chicago Fed Letter, no. 292a. Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Summers, Bruce J., and Kirstin E. Wells (2011). "Emergence of Immediate Funds Transfer as a General-Purpose Means of Payment," Economic Perspectives, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 97-112. Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Paulson, Anna L., and Kirstin E. Wells (2010). "Enhancing Financial Stability: The Case of Financial Market Utilities," Chicago Fed Letter, no. 279. Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Wells, Kirstin E. (2009). "Transit Riders and Access to Bus Service: A Neighborhood Analysis," Ph.D. dissertation, University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
- Marquardt, Jeffrey C., Bruce J. Summers, and Kirstin E. Wells (1997). "Efficiency and Risk in Small-Value, Cross-Border Payments: The North American Case," in von Furstenberg, George,M. ed., Regulation and Supervision of Financial Institutions in the NAFTA Countries and Beyond. Boston; Dordrecht and London: Kluwer Academic, pp. 246-257.
- Marquardt, Jeffrey C., Bruce J. Summers, and Kirstin E. Wells (1996). "Efficiency and Risk in Small-Value, Cross-Border Payments: The North American Case," North American Journal of Economics and Finance, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 163-170.
- Wells, Kirstin E. (1996). "Are Checks Overused?" Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, Quarterly Review, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 2-12.
Last update: July 27, 2021