Informing the public about the Federal Reserve
Money, Interest Rates, and Monetary Policy
- What is the Federal Reserve's new implementation note and how does it differ from the FOMC's postmeeting statement?
- What is forward guidance and how is it used in the Federal Reserve's monetary policy?
- Why is the Federal Reserve paying banks interest?
- What does the Federal Reserve mean when it talks about the "normalization of monetary policy"?
- What does the Federal Reserve mean when it says monetary policy remains "accommodative"?
- Why did the Federal Reserve begin raising interest rates after seven years of keeping them near zero?
- How will the Federal Reserve ensure that the size of its balance sheet won’t lead to excessive inflation?
- What were the Federal Reserve's large-scale asset purchases?
- How does the Federal Reserve's buying and selling of securities relate to the borrowing decisions of the federal government?
- How does monetary policy influence inflation and employment?
- What are the Federal Reserve's objectives in conducting monetary policy?
- What is the money supply? Is it important?
- What is the difference between monetary policy and fiscal policy, and how are they related?
Last update: December 17, 2015