Informing the public about the Federal Reserve
Currency and Coin
- Is U.S. currency still backed by gold?
- How do I determine if a banknote is genuine? What should I do if I think I have a counterfeit note?
- Is it legal for a business in the United States to refuse cash as a form of payment?
- How much does it cost to produce currency and coin?
- Do I have to trade in my old-design notes when a new one begins circulating?
- Why does the United States periodically redesign its currency?
- Which denominations of currency does the Federal Reserve issue?
Last update: September 8, 2016