What should I do if I have damaged or mutilated currency?

Individuals, financial institutions, and businesses may contact the Department of the Treasury's Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) if they are in possession of mutilated U.S. currency, meaning that the currency has been damaged to the extent that one-half or less of the original note remains, or its condition is such that its value is questionable.

The BEP's Mutilated Currency Division provides free mutilated currency redemption services to the public. Consumers should not send any currency directly to the Federal Reserve—including mutilated currency.

For details on what is considered mutilated currency and how to submit a request for mutilated currency examination, please visit the BEP's website. Not all damage to a Federal Reserve note requires for it to be sent to the BEP for possible redemption. For example, dirty or worn currency may be exchanged at a commercial financial institution.

For information on mutilated coins, visit the U.S. Mint's website.

Back to Top
Last Update: January 19, 2024