Meet the Economists
- Ph.D., Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
- B.A., Economics and History, University of North Carolina, 1997
- Urban Land Assembly
- Taxes and Wage Inequality
Chief of Fiscal Analysis
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2014 - present
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2010 - 2014
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2005 - 2010
- Brooks, Leah, and Byron Lutz (forthcoming). "Vestiges of Transit: Urban Persistence at a Micro Scale," Review of Economics and Statistics.
- Cashin, David, Jamie Lenney, Byron Lutz, and William Peterman (2018). "Fiscal Policy and Aggregate Demand in the USA Before, During and Following the Great Recession," International Tax and Public Finance, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 1519-1558.
- Eliason, Paul, and Byron Lutz (2018). "Can Fiscal Rules Constrain the Size of Government? An Analysis of the 'Crown Jewel' of Tax and Expenditure Limitations," Journal of Public Economics, vol. 166, pp. 115-144.
- Lutz, Byron, and Leah Brooks (2016). "From Today's City to Tomorrow's City: An Empirical Investigation of Urban Land Assembly," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 69-105.
- Cooper, Daniel H., Byron F. Lutz, and Michael G. Palumbo (2015). "The Role of Taxes in Mitigating Income Inequality across the U.S. States," National Tax Journal, vol. 68, pp. 943-974.
- Lutz, Byron (2015). "Quasi-Experimental Evidence on the Connection between Property Taxes and Residential Capital Investment," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 300-330.
- Lutz, Byron, and Louise Sheiner (2014). "The Fiscal Stress Arising from State and Local Retiree Health Obligations," Journal of health economics, vol. 38, pp. 130-146.
- Follette, Glenn, and Byron F. Lutz (2012). "Fiscal Rules: What does the American Experience Tell Us?" Fiscal Policy: Lessons from the Crisis. Roma: Banca D'Italia, pp. 27-53.
- Baum-Snow, Nathaniel, and Byron F. Lutz (2011). "School Desegregation, School Choice, and Changes in Residential Location Patterns by Race," American Economic Review, vol. 101, no. 7, pp. 3019-3046.
- Lutz, Byron (2011). "The End of Court-Ordered Desegregation," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 130-168.
- Lutz, Byron, Raven Molloy, and Hui Shan (2011). "The Housing Crisis and State and Local Government Tax Revenue: Five Channels," Journal of Regional Science and Urban Economics, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 306-319.
- Follette, Glenn, and Byron F. Lutz, (2011). "Fiscal Policy in the United States: Automatic Stabilizers, Discretionary Fiscal Policy Actions, and the Economy;" in Fiscal Policy: Lessons from the Crisis: Papers presented at the Banca d'Italia workshop held in Perugia, 25-27 March, 2010, no. 6, February. Perugia: Banca d'Italia, pp. 125-148.
- Lutz, Byron (2010). "Taxation with Representation: Intergovernmental Grants in a Plebiscite Democracy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 316-332.
- Lutz, Byron F. (2008). "The Connection between House Price Appreciation and Property Tax Revenues," National Tax Journal, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 555-572.
- Follette, Glenn, Andrea Kusko, and Byron Lutz (2008). "State and Local Finances and the Macroeconomy: The High-Employment Budget and Fiscal Impetus," National Tax Journal, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 531-545.
- Gilleskie, Donna B., and Byron F. Lutz (2002). "The Impact of Employer-Provided Health Insurance on Dynamic Employment Transitions," Journal of Human Resources, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 129-162.
- Weiner, David A., Byron F. Lutz, and Jens Ludwig (2009). "The Effects of School Desegregation on Crime," NBER Working Papers 15380. National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lutz, Byron F. (2008). "Schools and the Equal Opportunity Problem," Economica, vol. 75, no. 299, pp. 605-606.
Lincoln Institute for Land Policy
David C. Lincoln Fellowship
National Tax Association
Doctoral Dissertation First Runner-Up
American Educational Research Association
MIT Economics Department
George Schultz Fund Grant
National Science Foundation
- American Economic Review
- Quarterly Journal of Economics
- Journal of Political Economy
- Review of Economic Studies
- American Economic Journal: Applied Economics
- American Economic Journal: Public Policy
- Review of Economics and Statistics
- Journal of the European Economic Association
- Journal of Public Economics
- Journal of Urban Economics
- National Tax Journal
- Regional Science and Urban Economics
- Journal of Human Resources
- The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy
- Journal of Policy Analysis and Management
- Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization
- Health Economics
- Land Economics
- Economic Inquiry
- Journal of Housing Economics
- Real Estate Economics
- Public Finance Review
- International Tax and Public Finance