Meet the Economists
- Ph.D., Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005
- B.A., Economics and History, University of North Carolina, 1997
- Urban Land Assembly
- Taxes and Wage Inequality
Chief of Fiscal Analysis
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2014 - present
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2010 - 2014
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System2005 - 2010
- Cashin, David, Jamie Lenney, Byron Lutz, and William Peterman (2017). "Fiscal Policy and Aggregate Demand in the U.S. Before, During and Following the Great Recession," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2017-061. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lutz, Byron, and Leah Brooks (2016). "From Today's City to Tomorrow's City: An Empirical Investigation of Urban Land Assembly," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 69-105.
- Cooper, Daniel H., Byron F. Lutz, and Michael G. Palumbo (2015). "The Role of Taxes in Mitigating Income Inequality across the U.S. States," National Tax Journal, vol. 68, pp. 943-974.
- Lutz, Byron (2015). "Quasi-Experimental Evidence on the Connection between Property Taxes and Residential Capital Investment," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 300-330.
- Lutz, Byron, and Louise Sheiner (2014). "The Fiscal Stress Arising from State and Local Retiree Health Obligations," Journal of health economics, vol. 38, pp. 130-146.
- Follette, Glenn, and Byron F. Lutz (2012). "Fiscal Rules: What does the American Experience Tell Us?" Fiscal Policy: Lessons from the Crisis. Roma: Banca D'Italia, pp. 27-53.
- Baum-Snow, Nathaniel, and Byron F. Lutz (2011). "School Desegregation, School Choice, and Changes in Residential Location Patterns by Race," American Economic Review, vol. 101, no. 7, pp. 3019-3046.
- Lutz, Byron (2011). "The End of Court-Ordered Desegregation," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 130-168.
- Lutz, Byron, Raven Molloy, and Hui Shan (2011). "The Housing Crisis and State and Local Government Tax Revenue: Five Channels," Journal of Regional Science and Urban Economics, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 306-319.
- Follette, Glenn, and Byron F. Lutz, eds. (2011). "Fiscal Policy in the United States: Automatic Stabilizers, Discretionary Fiscal Policy Actions, and the Economy," Fiscal Policy: Lessons from the Crisis vol. Feb. Perugia: Banca d'Italia.
- Lutz, Byron (2010). "Taxation with Representation: Intergovernmental Grants in a Plebiscite Democracy," Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 316-332.
- Lutz, Byron F. (2008). "The Connection between House Price Appreciation and Property Tax Revenues," National Tax Journal, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 555-572.
- Follette, Glenn, Andrea Kusko, and Byron Lutz (2008). "State and Local Finances and the Macroeconomy: The High-Employment Budget and Fiscal Impetus," National Tax Journal, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 531-545.
- Gilleskie, Donna B., and Byron F. Lutz (2002). "The Impact of Employer-Provided Health Insurance on Dynamic Employment Transitions," Journal of Human Resources, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 129-162.
- Weiner, David A., Byron F. Lutz, and Jens Ludwig (2009). "The Effects of School Desegregation on Crime," NBER Working Papers 15380. National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lutz, Byron F. (2008). "Schools and the Equal Opportunity Problem," Economica, vol. 75, no. 299, pp. 605-606.
Lincoln Institute for Land Policy
David C. Lincoln Fellowship
National Tax Association
Doctoral Dissertation First Runner-Up
American Educational Research Association
MIT Economics Department
George Schultz Fund Grant
National Science Foundation
- American Economic Review
- Quarterly Journal of Economics
- Journal of Political Economy
- Review of Economic Studies
- American Economic Journal: Applied Economics
- American Economic Journal: Public Policy
- Review of Economics and Statistics
- Journal of the European Economic Association
- Journal of Public Economics
- Journal of Urban Economics
- National Tax Journal
- Regional Science and Urban Economics
- Journal of Human Resources
- The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy
- Journal of Policy Analysis and Management
- Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization
- Health Economics
- Land Economics
- Economic Inquiry
- Journal of Housing Economics
- Real Estate Economics
- Public Finance Review
- International Tax and Public Finance